Thursday, 1 August 2013

Fort Walk With Kalyan Karmakar

When I first enrolled for the  Fort Walk, little did I know that we were going to appear on TV. NDTV's Foodie's Kunal Vijaykar was going to take us through this walk with cameras all around us, at first that thought made me aghast. I was having second thoughts to skip the walk. But then I realized that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and that these opportunities are very rare. So with a little valor I stepped up and confirmed with Kalyan, saying that I was coming.

Our meeting point was The Bombay Store located in Fort, to my surprise this store is much bigger then i thought, crockery, T-shirts, artifacts were all in the store. You name it and it was there. The newest addition to the store were photographs of Old Bombay











 Our shooting started at The Bombay Store, where we all introduced ourselves and Kunal Vijaykar did his famous entry. To be honest i started sweating when the crew said ' okay rolling', I felt even more scared cause I was standing next to Kunal.




 Our first stop was Yazdani Bakery, an Iranian or Persian style bakery in Mumbai. Their specialty is there Chai, Brun Maska and  bread. When we stepped in we saw a display of mawa cakes.
 Their bread was super delicious. Fresh and soft


 
 Their Twist Khari was flaky and delicious.
Brun Maska. Full of butter. Awesome.
  We got a sneak peek into their bakery, due to battery problems I could not take photos inside. Sorry for that.
 Their freshly prepared rolls all ready packed for sale.

 Inside the Yazdani Bakery, where one and all enjoyed the chai and the khari


Soulful Lassi 
 I personally did not dare to even sip this lassi, all the foodies were logged on to this lassi, I was just watching in shock as Kalyan and the others gulped the lassi, malai and all.

We next entered the " Khau Galli " (Food Street). This street had everything we ever wanted
from Pav Bhaji to Bhajjiyas, EVERYTHING.
Dunked in butter, masala pav


Crisp and delicious Bhajjiyas made my mouth water.

We next headed to a Mahsrashtrian cuisine, we went to this place called Pradeep Gomantak. An outstanding Maharashtrain cuisine, for an affordable  price. The owner of the place served us her specialty dishes. Unfortunately due to Battery problems I could not capture pics of the food. The owner ' Manisha ' did not charge us for the food as she had seen Kunal Vijaykar on TV. That was extremely kind of her.

After all this food, Kunal took us to this parsi place called Ideal Corner. An Amazing place for parsi food.
I could only capture the drink as my camera battery was  dead so it didn't allow me to capture food pics. Again I'm sorry.



After parsi food, we arrived at our final stop, JALEBIS, Hot and sugary jalebis fresh from the cauldron. They were rich and extremely soft, almost like the melt in the mouth ones. I really wish I had brought home a plate or two. 
This was where our journey ended, the crew were packing up their bags and heading back to The Bombay Store where their kits were. An awesome experience all thanks to Kalyan Karmakar (The Knife) 


The Two Maestros Of The Journey who orchestrated our walk with finesse. 
Me and Kunal Vijaykar 


2 comments:

  1. Great to see your blog. Going after your Aunt. Keep the good blog going. Good luck and always keep your batteries charged.

    Suhas Kaka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction. If I am not wrong, it was Times Now team and not NDTV. I was in the bakery enjoying brun maska and chai while they were shooting. Thanks and Regards.

    ReplyDelete